Monday 28 April 2014

Crantock, Cornwall - England

19/04/2014

We have come away to Cornwall to check the van is working fine after a major internal and engine service. We have lovely views of the sea and the beach is a steep 10 minute walk.


First problem is the water; once we fill our tank this morning, and turn the water pump on, nothing except an air block sound comes on. Trying to backfill water from the sink doesn't cure the airlock, and we soon see that water is coming out of the bottom of the van. It doesn't appear to be coming out of the normal drain hole either. I check the temperature sensitive solenoid; this is designed to dump your water at or nearly at freezing, to avoid burst pipes and a burst water tank. This is in the closed position.

I decide to see if a plumbing and heating engineer can be found, and wander down to the site office to enquire. I telephone the man and he says he has been inundated with calls, 12 so far this morning so the best he can do is Monday.

After trying a few more plumbers in Newquay, all with answering messages, I decide to have a look and see if I can fix it.

After taking out all the boarding in the floor of the cupboard, and shining a light into the darkness, I see there is a hose disconnected, and a loose circlip on the floor of the heating and plumbing department.

Half an hour later, I have saved myself the call out fee and have given myself a grazed knuckle, working in the cramped conditions of warm air ducting hoses and other pipes. I think the previous workmen never finished their job when they replaced the circuit board in the heater, and this is what caused the water to be pumped into the floor of the compartment and out the drain hole at the bottom.

Time to go exploring the nearby beach.




 Not very warm yet, only about 14' C and very few swimmers and surfers around.

No comments:

Post a Comment