Monday 1 December 2014

a weekend washout; then workers arrive

The house alterations - the plan has changed, to pull down the walls of the bathroom, and put the laundry appliances into an alcove.

The weekend was a washout. Rain started on Friday and, although it reduced to a drizzle, there was hardly any presence to the Saturday market. Not that I noticed; I came down with an infection on Thursday night, and went to the doctor on Friday. I thought I had a bladder infection; a fever, burning urine, and some difficulty passing wee, up four times in the night. I saw a nice lady doctor, who tested my French, but not my wee, and I got sent to the lab for a urine culture, and then some antibiotics from the pharmacy. All tasks done in a nice gentle walk around town.


Send the new plans to the builders who arrive Monday:



Feeling a little better in the afternoon, we went out for tea to Cambridge Tony, beyond Amelie les Bains, in the mountains. Tony went to the same school in Dartington as Lucian Freud, and after Cambridge worked in computers, and then as a book dealer. He’s very well read, interesting, and great company. Amazingly, although he is 86 years old, he seemed to manage the one-hour walk we took previously, better than I did. His library at home is vast and varied, with quite a lot on art. I must ask to borrow some books. He gets the Royal Academy magazine too.

By the time we got home I was exhausted, and went to bed. I stayed in bed on Saturday, while Carol did a bit of shopping at the town supermarket, and then went out to lunch with friends. A new English lady has been buying a house from another Englishwoman through a local notaire, and there was a cup raised to celebrate the deal. My weekend illness might be flu, I reckon, as I have had a splitting headache, backache and a fever, which comes and goes. (Obviously I’m feeling a bit brighter after the day’s sleep, as I write this)

A “devis” or estimate, came through the door with the post today, from Antoine Freitas. A French builder, and a decent guy; he built the roof terrace seven years ago, where we can enjoy the sun in some privacy. I think his estimate is about Ok, and seems to be just a little more expensive than the English builders we have employed. Hard to be sure, since we have asked the English lot, with “two dogs Dave” to do a whole lot more, and the estimated two day job has turned into seven days of work. It may take longer, we shall see.

Jane has introduced us to another near neighbour, Dominique, who is obliquely opposite us. She runs the arts and crafts shop, and teaches courses in ceramics and in mosaic, amongst other things. She expressed delight in hearing that we shall be opening an atelier doing patchwork and painting portraits. It is all good news for the rest of the street. The footfall from art-minded visitors will bring business for us all.

We popped into the museum of modern art, to the bookshop, to look around on Friday. We have been introduced to the lady who runs the bookshop; I think he name is Clara, and she speaks good English. The exhibition on Picasso and the bullfights is over and there is something new up, all in blue, which did not interest me. I got a poster of a nice portrait, from a prior exhibition for €2, and a whole bunch of the museum stickers, for free. I think I might try and do a portrait with their stickers or a facsimile of them, instead of paint.

Monday morning: 0830 and the workers have arrived, and by 0930 the walls of the bathroom are down, and they are wrestling the old shower tray out, intact I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment