Wednesday 8 July 2015

where did June go?

June was our first month of being open, making paintings and fabric art from the little atelier in the south of France. I guess June, July and August are the high season months with lots of tourists coming to Céret, and there are the annual bullfights in the town's arena, being the high point of the Ferria, or festival. Spanish matadors come in for the occasion, and we are told that the music and festivities go on until the small hours in the streets outside.

My first portrait here was of a young, girl whose parents we came to know since her mother is the main English speaker at the estate agency we used when buying our house here.



Most of my portrait painting has been speculative, done for market traders, and then traded for their produce. The market is at the end of our street each Saturday, and it is such an interesting place, full of wonderful characters. I took photographs of some of my favourite traders, and from these photos painted rapid style oil portraits in just a few colours in sepia tones and a dark grey.


Kam Puy, the man who sells Thai roasted chickens with his wife is lovely and we always get a chicken from him on Saturdays - he and his wife were so delighted with his portrait, they supplied us with free chickens for a while, and asked if I would paint his children too.


Ludo, the cheerful extrovert who sells an amazing variety of dried fruits, loved his portrait too, and we get large bagfuls of dates and cystalised ginger from him. I have just completed a portrait of his children for him now.


Joelle, who sells cheeses, loved the portrait I did of her and her grandson at the cheese counter, and supplied many delicious speciality cheeses.

At the cherry festival I sold a few portrait sketches done in pen, and I have had a local lady come and sit for a portrait which is still underway. Crayon sketch done, and acrylic under-painting, now awaiting the oil on top.


Counting up all the portraits I have completed since we arrived in Céret, I think I have now completed 14 portraits, 4 cherry paintings, and a market scene. I am not making much money, but it is fun and keeps me occupied and creative, and the little studio is now crowded with paintings.

Carol has sold a couple of fabric pieces; a patchwork baby cot quilt, and a large fabric wall-mounted headboard, from a sketched design idea given her by a local artist. Her interpretation of the design, in fabrics, looks brilliant, and kept her busy for a couple of weeks. We get a lot of visitors who come in to admire her patchwork.


No comments:

Post a Comment