Friday 10 April 2015

new car for France

Today we traded in my ten year old Volvo for a three year old Skoda Yeti which is left hand drive and registered in France, and will fit into our small garage when we leave it in France and fly back.

It will be more economical for us to run just one car in England and one in France, and then fly backwards and forwards. The flights cost less than half what it costs us to drive - since there are fuel costs, motorway tolls, and Eurotunnel costs as well as an overnight stay, and of course it takes just half a day travelling by plane (and to and from airports) compared with two days in the car.

We opted for this car since it is both compact in length, but with a large load capacity, and still quite new. It drives very well, and has cruise control and should be economical on fuel. Crucially it is a bit less than 4.4m long, all the space we have in the garage.

Now we just have to load up all the stuff we are taking with us and get going early next week.


Strangely, I was quite sad to let my old Volvo go, and considered hanging on to it since I have owned it so long, and it is familiar. But the ongoing costs of road tax, MOT, insurance, servicing, and of course depreciation mean it is just not sensible to keep it just so we can have two cars, when we don't need two. And I still have my little Yamaha motorcycle, so if I wanted to do something which clashes with Carol using her car, I can use the bike.

I think the Skoda will be a great little car for us in France, and cheaper to run and service than anything larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment